No Bake Oatmeal Energy Bites
Try this adaptation of a Trader Joe's recipe: High in ALA (a form of Omega 3 FA). Contain 3000 mg of ALA/serving, which is 187% of the 1.6 g Daily Value of ALA.
· 1 cup rolled oats (preferably Gluten-Free)
· 1/2 cup flax seed meal aka ground flax seeds
· 1/2 cup crunchy peanut butter or other seed or nut butter
· 1/3 cup honey or pure maple syrup
· 1 tsp. vanilla extract
· 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips or raisins or dried cranberries
Tips: – Make sure the butters are loose and runny, not dry.
· Sunflower seed butter is a favorite of mine for that reason.
· Experiment with different flavors: 1/2 TBS Turmeric, 1/2 TBS Ground Ginger and 1/2 TBS Chili powder. I have put in walnuts, almonds, or pecans with the spices.
· Reduce honey or syrup to ¼ c if the energy balls are too sweet for your taste.
1. Combine all ingredients in a medium sized bowl and mix well.
2. Roll about 1 tbsp. of the dough between your palms to form a small bowl. Place on a plate or rimmed baking sheet that has been lined with parchment paper (or sprayed with cooking spray) and freeze for one hour.
3. I usually transfer to an airtight container and store them in the fridge for up to 3 weeks.
4. Makes 20 balls. Enjoy!