Spanish Spinach with Chickpeas (Espinacas con Garbanzos)
Even those who dislike veggies will love this traditional Spanish dish. This is one of my favorite protein packed meals for any time of year.
· 2 Cans of Chickpeas (rinsed)
· 1 Large Bag of Spinach (pre-cooked and finely chopped)
· 1 12oz Can Chopped Tomatoes
· 1 Tsp Red Pepper Flakes
· Pinch of Sea Salt
· 1 Tsp Ground Black Pepper
· 1 Tsp Ground Cumin
· 1 Medium Onion (finely chopped)
· 2 Cloves Garlic (minced)
· 1 Bunch Parsley (finely chopped)
· ¼ Cup Olive Oil
· 1 Lemon (zest and juice)
· Nutritional Yeast (optional)
1. Cook the onions and garlic in olive oil in a deep sided frying pan for 3 minutes.
2. Add the red pepper flakes and cook for a minute or two.
3. Add the cumin and cook for a minute.
4. Stir in the chickpeas and then stir in the tomatoes. Combine well.
5. Add the chopped spinach and combine well.
6. Season with sea salt and pepper.
7. Simmer covered for about ten minutes.
8. Add parsley, lemon zest and juice, and LOTS of nutritional yeast.
9. Be fancy - serve on a tapas dish!